Scrub the cushion of your papasan chair using a soapy water solution and a cloth to get it clean. Rinse it thoroughly with a sponge and enough water to remove any trace of soap. Continue carrying out these steps until there are no more stains on the cushion. In the end, you should let it air dry in the sunlight.
Papasans are chairs that have an oval form and give the user the impression that they are sitting inside of a warm baseball glove. They don’t have a lot of fancy design features, but they’re very pleasant to sit in and offer a lot of support for your back.
Customers’ only complaint about these cushions is that they are difficult to clean, and this is their one point of contention. Because they are too large to fit in a washing machine, papasans have to be washed by hand. This is in contrast to the case with smaller cushions.
You also have the option of paying a laundry company that specializes in cleaning furniture to clean it for you; however, this option comes with a hefty price tag.
Because we are aware that this is not a possibility for everyone, particularly if they are experiencing financial difficulties, this article will teach you how to clean a Papasan cushion on your own.
To clean your cushion, all you will need are simple products that are typically found around the house, and then you will be ready to use it again for lounging and resting.
Some warm water, the amount of which should be determined based on the dimensions of the cushion.
- Upholstery shampoo if the stains are very stiff.
- Laundry detergent.
- A table fan, if available.
- A bristle brush for still stains or a soft piece of cloth.
- A vacuum cleaner to effectively remove dust.
- A paper towel.
- Some deodorizing material.
Precautions to Be Taken
- Pick out cushions that are resistant to moisture and can be cleaned without much effort. It is especially likely that the cushions will become soiled if you have animals in the home.
- Always use some sort of cover for your cushions. It primarily possesses two benefits to offer. Because of the cushion cover, the Papasan is less likely to collect a great deal of dirt and is simple to clean.
- If you want to modify the look of your room, another option that is recommended is to get a cushion cover rather than buying new cushions. This will save you money.
- Be sure to immediately clean the cushion if anything gets spilled on it or stains it. If the stain markings are allowed to dry, it will be very difficult to remove them.
- Steer clear of chlorinated bleaches because they have the potential to change the color of the cushion and lower its overall aesthetic value.
- Alternate the position of the cushions on a regular basis to prevent indentation marks from forming on any side. You will be able to maintain the color and appearance of the cushion for a longer period of time.
Step #1: Use a Vacuum Cleaner
A Papasan cushion is made of upholstery fabric, and maintaining its quality by giving it a thorough vacuuming on a regular basis is recommended. In addition to this, it cleans the cushion of any little solid items and gets it ready for washing.
After giving the Papasan cushion a thorough dusting and verifying that there is not even a trace of dirt left on it, you can wash it.
Step #2: Use Soapy Water
- Warm water should be added to a tub that is large enough to accommodate the cushion.
- Use upholstery shampoo along with water that has detergent added to it in order to eliminate stains.
- The application of the solution can also clean seat covers made of sheepskin.
- Allow the cushion to sit in the water for a while before using it. You will see that the dirt starts to come loose, and the color of the cushion will start to alter as a result.
- Use a piece of clean cloth to thoroughly scrub the cushion. To clean the cushion, use a bristle brush if the material is hardy enough to withstand repeated washings.
- If there are any stains or blemishes of any kind on the cushions, you can get rid of them by using a damp sponge.
- After applying a mixture of upholstery shampoo and water to the damp sponge, you can then use it to clean the cushion.
- After applying some light pressure with your palm to the cushion in order to release the warm water trapped inside, remove your feet in order to let the water circulate freely again.
- It is necessary to make a hole in the cushion for the warm water to enter in order to ensure that the cushion will be well cleaned.
- Proceed in this manner for a considerable amount of time. You will need to keep repeating the process until you get the desired level of success, at which time you should refill the bucket with fresh water.
- During the cleaning procedure, you should also remember to turn the cushion over on a frequent basis. It will maintain the cleanliness of both sides.
If the cushion is too huge to clean by hand, you can clean it in a washing machine, which is a technique very similar to that used for cleaning tennis balls. Make it a habit to run the machine with the delicate setting selected at all times.
Scrubbing the cushion should be done carefully since, if done incorrectly, it could cause the cushion to become permanently damaged.
Step #3: Dry the Cushion
After the cushion has been thoroughly cleaned, you need to ensure that it has adequate time to dry before using it again. Because prolonged exposure to moisture might cause irreversible damage to the cushion, it must be dried thoroughly before each use.
- Applying pressure to the cushion will help remove any extra water that may be trapped inside. If there is even a small quantity of moisture left inside, it will start to smell bad.
- If you have access to them, table fans can be used to dry the cushion. Put it as close to the fans as you can get it so that the fan can reach the majority of its surface area.
- Drying will go quickly and smoothly as a result. If you don’t have any table fans, you can throw a pillow on top of your ceiling fan and turn it up to its highest speed.
- It is recommended that you dry it in some sunlight after you have dried it under the fan for a while. The warmth of the sunlight contributes to the cushion feeling cozier and having more fluff to it.
- If you have a large cushion, it is recommended that you dry it using an industrial dryer, which can be found at businesses that cater only to professionals.
- Keep in mind that wet pillows can become quite heavy, therefore it is not recommended that you carry them all by yourself.
Place a folded paper towel over the cushion and apply some pressure to it. If the paper becomes damp, this indicates that the cushion has not been dried thoroughly enough and still has some moisture.
Step #4: Add Some Fragrance
If it isn’t dried in a timely manner, the cushion can start to smell musty even after you’ve dried it and taken all the necessary steps.
Mold has grown inside of the cushion, which is the source of the unpleasant odor. This is something that you really do not want in your living room, as it is extremely unattractive.
Applying a deodorizing solution to the cushion will stop this from happening and ensure that there is no risk of a musty odor developing. A deodorizing solution that is commonly used for burlap fabrics is a mixture of baking soda and water. You may try this. After that, replace the cover on the cushion.
Watch this quick video to learn the appropriate way to clean a cushion cover. Here it is.
Steps to Cleaning A Papasan Cushion
What You’ll Need
- Hot Water
- Furniture Shampoo
- Soft Bristle Brush or a gentle towel
- Foam Sponge
- Bucket or Bowl
- Ask someone to help you. When you clean your cushion with extra water, it will feel heavier to carry it about the house because of its increased volume.
- Mix a good amount of upholstery cleaner with the hot water you have available. The ratio of water to soap in the combination ought to be somewhere around 20 to 1, as a rule of thumb. If the stain is particularly difficult to remove, try using a concentration of 8:1.
- Use a towel or a brush to wipe away any dirt or grime that may be present before adding water. The type of fabric you are working with should determine whether you use a towel or a brush to clean it. The majority of people prefer to use a towel.
- To get rid of stains, dip your towel into the soapy water combination, wring it out, and then wipe it in a circular motion over the area that needs to be cleaned. Continue doing this step until the discoloration is no longer visible.
- Remove all of the soapy water from the mixture, then add new, warm water in its place. If you dunk your foam sponge in it, you’ll see that the residues of the soap will disappear with time.
- Put the damp cushion somewhere outside in the sun and wait for it to dry naturally by air circulation on its own.
Alternative Method to Cleaning Your Cushion
Here is a second way that you can use in case the first one does not work for you or if you simply want to experiment with something different.
What You’ll Need
- Warm Water
- Furniture shampoo
- Durable Bristle brush
- Washing Machine (If large enough)
- To prepare for your soak, fill your bathtub with water that is warm, but not scalding.
- When the container is completely full of water, add some furniture shampoo to the water and give it a good swirl with your hands for ten to thirty seconds.
- To remove the stain from the cushion, get a brush with firm bristles and start cleaning the affected areas.
- Take the cushion out of the bag and step on it with as much of your weight as you can muster until all of the excess water has been expelled.
- You have two choices to make regarding this final phase. You have the option of either drying the cushion in the sun by leaving it outside until it is completely dry or placing it in a dryer, provided that the dryer is large enough to accommodate the entire cushion. The outcome will be the same regardless of whether approach is taken.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Cleaning a Papasan Cushion Tedious?
When done in a methodical manner, cleaning a papasan cushion is a straightforward operation. Patience is required, as well as the application of chemicals in the appropriate amounts.
It could be easier to get someone to assist you in lifting the damp cushion because doing so can be a bit of a chore. The remaining steps of the procedure need little or no manual labor.
Is Cleaning a Papasan Cushion Expensive?
With time, the cushion on the papasan chair will begin to look worn and will collect dirt. This is especially true if you are constantly busy and do not have time to clean it.
It is only normal that you want the cushion to seem clean because it contributes to the attractiveness of your living room. The materials that are required to clean it last a long time and are typically used in the household. Therefore, it is in the best financial interest to clean it.
Where do you put a Papasan chair?
The greatest place to use papasan chairs is outside, and they will look especially nice on a hardwood deck in your garden. When you just want to sit outside in the evening and take in the night sky, they make for a very peaceful experience.
Do Papasan chairs hurt your back?
Because it does not provide lumbar support, yes, sitting on it for extended periods of time could be bad for your spine.
What are Papasan cushions filled with?
The majority of papasan cushions are often packed with cotton and high-quality polyester, which results in the cushions having a very comfortable feel.